I think that the typewriter in this episode of Fringe warrants a closer look. I have a lot of questions, not only about the typewriter itself, but about the entire scene.
- First of all…Why is it that you can only see the typewriter keys depress in the mirror? That would mean that the mirror must also be ‘magic’ and not just the typewriter…wouldn’t it? If the mirror allows us to see into another world, wouldn’t we then also be able to see the hands that are typing? If you took the mirror away, would the typewriter still work?
- Secondly…Who is at the other end of that typewriter? Somebody wanted Olivia dead, but who? Is it possible that it was William Bell? Was it someone from the Observer’s world? Is it yet another bad guy who have have yet to meet? They definitely wanted information from Olivia…but are they trying to protect a secret or find out a secret? What is their goal? What are they after?
- The writing itself raises some questions…here is the list of what was typed on the sheet…
IN FATAL CAR CRASH
TARGET STILL ALIVE
REQUEST NEW ORDERS
THEN KILL HER
“MEETING PREVENTED”…What meeting does he think he prevented, the meeting with William Bell? The shape-shifter obviously did not realize that Olivia actually made it to the other world and had the meeting with Bell? If that is the case, then that eliminates Bell as being the person on the other end of the typewriter.
“REQUEST EXTRACTION”…This seems to indicate that the shape-shifter does not have the ability to leave or transport out on his own. I think that would eliminate him from being from the Observer’s world…The Observer doesn’t seem to have any problems getting around. Not to mention that the Observer merely makes a phone call when he wants to communicate. So the shape-shifter comes from a place that has the technology to change a person’s form, have super-human strength, and be able to self-heal. Not to mention the ‘magic’ mirror, typewriter and other-world viewing…but with all of this they do not the ability to allow the soldier to transport on his own…interesting. (maybe he’s just not allowed!)
“MEETING OCCURRED TARGET STILL ALIVE”…How does the person on the other end of the typewriter know these things? They would have to have eyes not only on Olivia in this world, but also on Olivia in William Bell’s world. How are they doing that? What kind of device are they using to be able to peer into specific alternate universes? Has Olivia been tagged in some way, and they are just tracking her, or is their scope much larger?
- My next question is…What was a shape-shifter doing in our world six years ago? When he entered the store, the store owner says “AH, you’re one of them. It’s been six years“. This tells us that a shape-shifter (probably not the same one) was here six years ago. But what was he doing here? And why has there been no activity since then?
- My last question is…Does this scene remind anyone of the lab notes from ‘The Equation’? Perhaps it is just a coincidence that it seemed like the typewriter was answering Walter. I always assumed that it was just Walter talking to himself, or with his alter-Walter. But what if it wasn’t a coincidence…what if Walter actually has one of these ‘magic’ typewriters or ‘magic’ mirrors and it was someone else entirely talking to him. Just a theory…you be the judge. Click notes to view full size.